Sunday 10 March 2013

The Mill - Alveley


We took mum to The Mill for Mothers Day lunch – I am not overly keen on the venue as the decor is quite dated and more aimed at the older clientele really.  However mum likes the fact you can sit and have coffee in the lounge afterwards and the building itself is a lovely old mill – it could be really nice if it was updated!  Don’t get me wrong, it’s not dirty or worn – it’s just very old fashioned.  I don’t know what is wrong with Mothers Day menus these days – everywhere seems just to have roasts on, which is a bit boring!  But The Mill had some other meals as well as roasts, the venison took my fancy!

For starters, hubby and I had Filo Basket filled with a warm King Prawn, Potato & Bacon Salad with Pesto Dressing – the filling was gorgeous, very tasty and something a bit different, my only complaint would be the filo pastry was a little thick and over floured so I didn’t eat much of it.  Mum had Duo of Salmon & Plaice Mousse on a Herb Salad with Lemon Dressing which she thoroughly enjoyed and had no complaints.

For mains I had Flash Fried Venison with a Port Jus & Roast Cherry Tomatoes which was lovely and tender and the sauce was very tasty.  Hubby had Roast Leg of Rosemary & Garlic Studded Lamb with Red Wine Sauce which was a little overcooked (ie not pink in the middle) which to be honest is probably expected in a place like this as I can image the older clientele would complain if it was pink!  He got a good size portion and the sauce was again tasty.  Mum had the Whole Sea Bream baked under a Lemon Salt Crust and again had no complaints.  Accompaniments were your standard veg and potatoes, would have been nice to have had some different potatoes and veg but again they are catering for the normal clientele.

For dessert mum and I had Lemon, White Chocolate & Sultana Sponge with Vanilla Custard which was lovely, although I couldn’t taste the white chocolate which was a little disappointing but mum liked it like that as thought it would have been too sweet otherwise.  Hubby had a baileys lumpy bumpy cake which was nice but a bit too creamy for my liking!

Finally we had coffee in the lounge and mum had a present of a house plant which was a nice touch.  It was £24.50 for the four courses.  All in all it is nice to go every now and then but I wouldn't really rave about it.  It is a shame they don’t update it and bring it into the 21st century as it could be really nice, it does feel like it’s stuck in the 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment