Monday 6 January 2014

Knorr Stock Pots

I was sent some knorr stockpots through Mumsnet. The idea was to test the stockpots by using them with leftovers from Christmas Day. Knorr sent some recipe cards through but some of them were a bit complicated and had ingredients I didn't have or like. Having a young baby who keeps me busy I can't be bothered with long winded recipes or recipes that contain an endless list of ingredients!

So the first recipe I used was Goodtoknow's Turkey Stew:

Ingredients
2tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 chillies, chopped
900g turkey, cut into bite-sized chunks
1tbsp tomato puree
285ml vegetable stock
2 bay leaves

Method
Heat the oil in a casserole dish, add the onion, garlic and chillies and fry gently until softened (about 5 minutes).
Add the turkey pieces, increased the heat, and fry until browned.
Stir in the tomato puree, then pour in the vegetable stock and add the bay leaves, and season.
Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 40 minutes, until the turkey is tender.

I halved the recipe for the two of us as the above feeds four. Also at the same time I added the stock, I added some left over veg from
Christmas Day - brussel sprout, carrots, green beans and mange tout!



I of course used Knorr Vegetable Stockpot for my stock. It was such an easy meal to make, I didn't bother browning the turkey so literally just threw all the ingredients in my wohl and left it. Served with mashed potato. It was lovely, very tasty and most of the taste must have been down to the stock as there weren't many other ingredients. The chilli added an extra kick which you could leave out it you don't like anything spicy but I enjoyed it.

A lot of the recipes suggested by knorr didn't use up all my leftovers so I again found another on the Goodtoknow website, this time it was "Slimming World's turkey risotto"

Serves 4

Ingredients
1 large onion, chopped
2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
1 red pepper and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
710ml / 1¼pt chicken stock
227g/ 8oz dried Arborio rice a few strands of saffron
454g/ 1lb lean cooked turkey, skin removed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped parsley

Method
Put the onion, leeks, peppers, garlic and 284ml/½ pint of the stock in a large heavy frying pan. Cover the pan, bring to the boil and boil for 5-10 minutes. Uncover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and syrupy.
Stir in the rice and cook gently for 2 minutes. Add some more stock, together with the saffron, and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook very gently for about 15-20 minutes, adding more stock and stirring as necessary.
Add the cooked turkey after 10 minutes and heat through in the rice. The risotto is ready when the rice is plump and tender, and all the liquid has been absorbed. Season to taste and serve sprinkled with parsley.


It's quite a labour intensive recipe but all done in one pot on the hob and you can throw all your leftover veggies in too. It was very tasty, I ended up using two Knorr Chicken stock pots plus the liquid. 

Finally I used the Beef Gravy pot with some mash, veggies & a beef pie. I must admit I couldn't really taste much difference to gravy granules such a bistro. You had to make the gravy by putting the stockpot in warm water then bringing to the boil in a pan. I expected it to be super tasty, I think I will just stick to granules.

So to sum up, would I buy the stockpots? Yes. Would I buy the gravy pots? No.


I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Network Research Panel, a group of parent bloggers who have volunteered to review products, services, events and brands for Mumsnet. I have not paid for the product or to attend an event. I have editorial control and retain full editorial integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment