Saturday 15 February 2014

Copycat Millie's Giant Cookie Cake

My maternity pay has reduced dramatically so I thought this year I would make a pressie for hubby.

So this is the recipe:

125g soft butter
100g soft brown sugar
125g caster sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1tsp vanilla extract
225g self raising flour
125g giant white chocolate buttons
This was enough for a 23cm loose bottom cake tin lined with grease proof paper.

My second cookie I substituted 50g of flour for cocoa powder

Mix the butter and sugar together, add the egg, vanilla and flour. Finally add in the chocolate.

I put in a fan oven at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

The plain and chocolate cookies:

You could just make one giant cookie but I wanted a go at the cake so I sandwiched them together with buttercream.
The recipe I used for the buttercream which gave me enough for icing the top as well was:

375g soft unsalted butter, cut into cubes
525g icing sugar, sifted
2tsp vanilla extract
gel food colouring (optional)

Gel food colouring is better than liquid as it's a really strong colour and doesn't water recipes down like the liquid ones do.

I decided the buttercream in the middle would be left without colouring. Then divided the leftover buttercream into two and put sugar flair black extra in one (normal black can sometimes turn out grey) and christmas red in the other.

I found a small tip, which had just been free with piping bags, it looks like this:

It's the first time I have piped anything other than cupcakes so was pretty pleased with my attempt :)


Happy valentines everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment