Monday 5 May 2014

Morrisons Mum - The Food

I made a few things myself, such as a couscous salad, potato salad, halloumi kebabs, chicken tikka kebabs and Eton Mess.  The rest I bought Morrisons own branded food and went for the Morrisons Signature range which is the premium food that Morrisons offer.  I wanted to compare their meat to that of my local butcher who we use for our BBQs.

The burgers I chose were Signature Mature Cheddar & Sweet Onion Quarter Pounders, they looked a good size burger as I can't stand burgers that are tiny and fill half the bun.  I have to say I was very disappointed as these burgers shrivelled to nothing on the BBQ.  The burgers we buy from our butchers work out at about £1 each, these were the same as a pack of 4 was £4, however if you bought three lots it worked out at £10 for 12.  They tasted okay but I wouldn't rave about them, they were nowhere near as tasty as our local butcher's burgers which also don't shrivel up on the BBQ.

I chose Signature Thick Pork & Caramelised Onion Sausages which came in a pack of 6 and you could buy two packs for £5.  Again they were okay, they weren't chewy, the skins weren't hard, they weren't lumpy but again taste wise there was just no comparison between them and the sausages from our local butchers.  In terms of cost, again about the same as the butcher.

Finally we had some Signature Spiced Lamb Kebabs with Apricot, these were part of the three packs for £10 deal and contained 5 kebabs.  They were nice but I have had nicer lamb kebabs from Sainsburys for similar sort of money.

For dessert I had been looking forward to making my Eton Mess but I came to open the strawberries and this was what I found!!

Mouldy as anything, these were 2 days old, kept in a cool dry place and they looked like this, couldn't believe it as normally strawberries will last longer than that!!  I ended up walking down to our Co-op who had them on offer and mixed them with Morrisons Double Cream and Morrisons meringues which were really nice and light.

We had non alcoholic punch to drink which consisted of Morrisons fruit which was nice and fresh and priced well, a bag of lemons for £1.  Morrisons orange juice and lemonade which I couldn't find fault with. I also used Welch's Grape Juice which I have since found in Sainsburys for only £1, it was £1.39 in Morrisons.  Sainsburys also do their own brand grape juice which works out cheaper but Morrisons do not offer this.

Soooooooo, no I won't be shopping at Morrisons, I will continue to do my online shopping through Tesco and obtain my meat from the local butcher. The thing is Tesco have got me, the more I spend, the more vouchers I get and Morrisons just don't seem that much cheaper. Tesco have sent me a £15 off a £50 shop this week and I have been collecting money off petrol with them too.

Here we all are enjoying some good food, even though the sun wasn't shining!  All in all probably worked out about £8 a head which was a burger, hot dog, lamb kebab, veggie kebab, chicken kebab, corn each, punch and salads.  The couscous salad was probably the favourite.


Recipes - all from BBC Good Food

CousCous Salad - £0.63 per person

Ingredients
100g couscous
200ml hot low salt vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
2 spring onions
1 red pepper
½ cucumber
50g feta cheese, cubed
2 tbsp pesto
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts

Method
Tip couscous into a large bowl, pour over stock. Cover, then leave for 10 mins, until fluffy and all the stock has been absorbed. Meanwhile, slice the onions and pepper and dice the cucumber. Add these to the couscous, fork through pesto, crumble in feta, then sprinkle over pine nuts to serve.

Lemony Potato Salad - £0.52 per person

Ingredients
900g halved new potatoes
3 tsp olive oil
juice 1 lemon
1 tsp each toasted black mustard seeds and toasted cumin seeds
1 finely chopped green chilli (optional)
½ finger-length piece grated ginger
pinch turmeric
4 sliced spring onions

Method
Boil the new potatoes for 15 mins until just slightly overcooked but still holding their shape. While still warm, toss with all the other ingredients. Season. Can be made up to a day ahead and chilled, but take out of the fridge a good few hours before serving.

Halloumi kebabs with thyme & lemon baste - £0.75 per person

Ingredients
For the kebabs
2 medium courgettes
1 large red onion
250g low fat halloumi cheese, cut into 16 chunks (we used Cypressa Halloumi Lite)
16 cherry tomatoes
For the lemon baste
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (preferably lemon thyme)
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Method
Halve the courgettes lengthways, then thickly slice. Cut the onion into wedges and separate into pieces. Thread the halloumi, cherry tomatoes, courgettes and onion onto eight skewers. Cover and chill the kebabs until you are ready to cook (You can do this up to half a day ahead.)
To make the baste, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, mustard and seasoning. (This can be made ahead and chilled too.)
Preheat the barbecue or grill and arrange the kebabs on the rack. Brush with the baste, stirring it first to make sure the ingredients are blended. Cook for 4-5 minutes, turning often, until the cheese begins to turn golden and the vegetables are just tender.
What I did find with this recipe is the halloumi tended to split as soon as you pushed the skewer through it so I ended up squashing the cheese between two bits of courgette to hold it on!  These kebabs were divine though!




No comments:

Post a Comment