Thursday 25 July 2013

Purina's Pro Plan Duo Delice Review




We were asked to review the new Purina Pro Plan Duo Delice dog food. We were sent a 2.5kg bag of the Chicken & Rice, first off I loved the bag - it made life very easy as I didn't have to find any scissors to open it, there was a tear off corner. As well as this there is a plastic reseal strip to keep the food fresh which saves having to store it in an airtight container.


The food is "a unique combination of crunchy kibbles and tender shredded pieces" - I wouldn't say it was overly unique as we usually feed Supadog Beef Casserole which used to have beef pieces in it which were crunchy but turned chewy when hot water was added, HOWEVER this food no longer has the beef pieces in it which my dogs loved. So it is perhaps unique now?

The protein content is quite high at 25%, I have a 13 year old, 10 year old and a 7 year old who can’t take much exercise due to a condition he has.  So it wouldn’t be a food I would choose to feed as my dogs aren’t overly active so they need to be on around 20-22% protein at the most.  They offer a salmon and a beef variety which is the same level of protein, which is a shame as it would have been an idea to vary the protein levels per flavour.
 

The food was nice and smelly and included plenty of shredded pieces of meat – so often dog food companies will skimp on the best bits!  My older collie has to have water in her food and this food still maintained it’s crunch and the meat remained tender.  The kibble was big enough for the german shepherd to still crunch and not swallow whole, yet I think a small dog could also eat as the pieces aren’t huge so it would be suitable for all sizes of dogs. 

All of our three dogs enjoyed the food and the chewy meaty bits did slow them down which is a good thing as the german shepherd suffered a torsion over winter so anything that slows her down is a good thing! 

Here is a video review:

Overall I would recommend the food, I wouldn't personally feed due to the protein level of the food however that is just my personal preference.  Otherwise the dogs loved it and I thought it was a good food.


No comments:

Post a Comment