Wednesday 5 June 2013

Baileys Fudge

So for my last day at work I was asked to bake cakes, I thought I would try to make some fudge. I have tried three time before - the first time was perfect, the second time it turned to toffee and the third time it didn't set - it hadn't helped that I didn't have a sugar thermometer, now I do I wanted to try again!  

397g can condensed milk
150ml Baileys
450g Demerara sugar
125g Butter

Grease a 7inch/18cm square tin.
Place all the ingredients, except the whiskey, into a large non stick saucepan and heat gently stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes stirring continuously until the temperature reaches 116*/240*C on a sugar thermometer (make sure you stir continuously scraping into the sides of the saucepan or the cream and butter will burn and give you brown specks in your fudge) - don't worry if you don't have a sugar thermometer fill a small bowl with cold water and drop a teaspoonful of the mixture into the water - roll it between your fingers it should form a soft ball. If not simmer and stir for a little longer and try again until a soft ball is formed.
Remove the pan from the heat and beat for 5 minutes with a wooden spoon until thickened and slightly grainy. Pour into the prepared tin. Allow to cool. When cold cut into squares. Store in an airtight container for 1 month if it lasts that long!

So the outcome? It worked and everybody loved it, it has a lovely crumbly texture and is very alcoholic, if you like smooth fudge its not the recipe for you, but if like me you like crumbly fudge you will love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment