For the buttercream icing
- 150g butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar, sieved
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Food colouring (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5.
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the vanilla essence then add ¼ of the beaten eggs at a time, beating them into the mix.
- Fold the flour into the mix and add the milk to loosen it a little.
- Spoon the mix into the cones so that they are half full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer pushed into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cones and place on a wire rack to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream icing: beat the butter until it’s nicely soft then add most of the icing sugar (saving 2 tbsp) and beat again until it’s pale and creamy.
- Mix the remaining icing sugar with the milk and beat it until it’s smooth. Add food colouring if you’re using it.
- Take a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle and fill it with the icing, then pipe whippy shapes onto the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle popping candy or chocolate shavings on, and add flake chocolate to finish it off.
I used a Wilton 1M nozzle, the cakes were lovely, I wasn't sure whether they might be a bit dry at the bottom but they weren't at all :)